Monday, January 27, 2014

So y'all noticed I travel a lot, right? So lets take a moment to think about different cultures within the united states. Im still trying to figure out the great northwest...they dont invite each other over for dinner and its harder to break into social circles. Its dark and gloomy for most of the winter but raely snows...definately a give and a take here people! Now go further down south and you have the souther california surfer culture. I spent some of my military days here and had a blast! People are friendly, laid back, and sometimes too laid back;-) People down here dont have to worry about harsh winters or hurricanes, but earthquakes are around, and sometimes a little scarey! Now I spent my high school years down south and they dont get scared about hurricanes...they throw parties instead! Yes, those crazy southerners sure are friendly and fun, and are always inviting each other over for some good southern cooking. It gets super hot in the summer so youve got to have air conditioning, and lots of people have pools so get out your swimsuits! Everything grows well here, and I miss having a garden. I grew up in the northeast and we all talk like new casters. There is absolutely no accent there! I think people stick together more because the winters can be very snowy and cold. Of course the seasons are all much more defined there which make for beautiful springs and falls! They also have a lot more history there, so it was a good place to grow up with great school systems. I often miss it...thankfully Ill be going back in another couple of weeks!:-)

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy you will be brightening and warming up the northeast soon. I love your blog and the way you are always exploring and learning. You truly are a Renaissance Woman. I enjoyed your comments on American regions and have experienced the cultural differences in the US myself as I have traveled. Colin Woodward authored a recent book on the regions of the US and this article in the Washington Post http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2013/11/08/which-of-the-11-american-nations-do-you-live-in/ has a nice summary. Also there is a good discussion of the book by NPR http://www.npr.org/2013/11/11/244527860/forget-the-50-states-u-s-is-really-11-nations-says-author.

    But if you want a good laugh take a look at Bulgarian Yanko Tsetsovs maps
    where he has some hilarious maps of the world from different perspectives http://alphadesigner.com/mapping-stereotypes/

    But if you want a good laugh take a look at Bulgarian Yanko Tsetsovs maps
    where he has some hilarious maps of the world from different perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for commenting and for the article and book suggestion! We may have to elaborate on this after I read...

      Delete